Based in part on this research experience, I was selected as a 2016 NIDDK/National Hispanic Medical Association (NHMA) research conference fellow. The UVA Internal Medicine program also emphasizes the importance of scientific investigation and offers residents a wealth of research opportunities across disciplines. Congratulation to all the current Chief Residents and PGY-3s for matching into their dream fellowship! Simply, I was able to match at my number one choice for cardiology fellowship because of the training, both clinical and academic, that I received at UVA. I wasn’t a member of the global health track, but after a few emails with the excellent infectious diseases faculty at UVA, I was able to organize an elective at a rural hospital in Tanzania. Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine participates in the National Residency Match Program (NRMP) also known as "The Match." The UVA Medical Center R. Edward Howell Administrative Fellowship Program provides individuals with a post-graduate experience in an academic medical center to better prepare healthcare leaders of the future.The program is named in recognition of R. Edward Howell, who served as vice president and chief executive officer of the UVA Medical Center for 12 years (2002-2014). I certainly wouldn’t be where I am today without the influences of the ID faculty and former fellows who allowed me to craft my own niche in stewardship, epidemiology, and global health, and assemble a curriculum that would let me merge those interests into a future career. [email protected] Fellows works to organize and mobilize the UVA social entrepreneurship community through community events, outreach, social media, and advising. Areas of Research Resources & Facilities Funding Opportunities Proposal Submission Process Research Administration Office of Assessment, Evaluation and Scholarship Critically, the UVA IM program is truly a resident-led program, and residents are the leaders of change in the program. The position will require 5-10 hours/week. Map Marker Select below to see what previous residents have to say about how training at UVA helped prepare them for fellowship at top-notch institutions: By the end of my first month as an internal medicine resident at UVA, it was clear that I was part of a unique training program. Map Marker Fellowship Match. That’s our Mandell. As you can tell from the other fellowship testimonials, UVA is a powerhouse when it comes to matching residents into infectious disease, gastroenterology, pulmonology/ critical care, hematology/oncology… the list doesn’t end! While I spent a large chunk of my time studying cardiology and ultimately chose it as my future career, I legitimately feel as though I was prepared to match into any subspecialty of my choice. One of my goals during residency was to travel internationally for an elective in an underserved area. What I think UVA offers as a residency program is the combination of cutting edge clinical expertise, educational and research resources, and support for academic training. UVA wrote the book on Infectious Diseases; yes, literally. Despite the rigor of cardiology fellowship, I could not have been better prepared by my training at UVA, both in cardiology but also in my foundation of internal medicine more generally. The diverse curriculum at UVA does not just span the typical subspecialties and clinics; I was able to partake in a health policy class, present scientific papers to my colleagues and mentors in a public forum, work on a procedure team to help busy residents, and even receive yearly resident burnout training. The geographic spread of the fellowship match is shown at right. Residency Match. There are two (2) cardiothoracic track positions and one (1) general thoracic track position. All applicants for first-year residency appointments at UVA must register with the NRMP, and all applications must be submitted via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). It was this combination of experiences that allowed me to land my top choice fellowship at Johns Hopkins. Chief Residents: Samantha Welniak-Dibenedetto: Hematology/Oncology at University of Virginia Patrick Neilan: Pulmonary Critical Care at University of Vermont Nida Waheed: Cardiology at Emory University Donevan Westerveld: Gastroenterology at Cornell University Class of 2020: Hossein … © 2021 Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia.All rights reserved. I was so grateful to work in a system that had a wide referral base and a robust clinical volume that provided the opportunity to become proficient in diagnosing and managing all types of conditions. It is no surprise that the UVA match list includes multiple top-tier fellowship programs every year. Specialty Match Program Results 2016-2020 (PDF, 152 pages), a state by state breakdown of SMS results for 2016-2020. Not only was my education top tier, but I met my best friends – lifelong friends – because of UVA. As the former home of Thomas Jefferson, Charlottesville has a rich yet tumultuous history that has sparked controversy but also dialogue and a spirit on campus of inclusion and reconciliation. I also learned from my bright, motivated co-residents and from our lively Morning Reports that ranged from traditional case-based lectures to Family Feud style competitions (no, Steve Harvey not included). Our current vascular surgery program director is Dr. Megan Tracci. In fact, it was my training here that helped me match at my top choice for gastroenterology and hepatology fellowship. We have three (3) positions available annually. Over the past three years, approximately 75% of our residents enter subspecialty fellowships, with the remaining 25% entering various types of careers in general internal medicine. Fellowship Match UMMC hosts 14 fellowship programs within the Department of Medicine. We participate in the Fellowship Match administered by the National Residency Match Program (NRMP), and use the universal fellowship application designed by the Association of Program Directors in Radiology. And there are multiple opportunities to hone your interests within the field. [email protected] Fellowship. Congratulations to our residents moving into fellowships at the following institutions: Allergy and Immunology Jared Silver Brigham and Women’s Hospital Cardiology Jason Huang University of Washington Michael Hushion Loyola University Chicago Valerie Izarnotegui University of Virginia Michael Johnson Cleveland Clinic Angie Kloepfer University of North Carolina Kwame Nketiah […] ... University of Virginia. As a UVA internal medicine alum, I value my time spent in Charlottesville with my colleagues, friends, and patients. “I am delighted to see our residents take this next step in their careers.” UVA’s Division of Cardiovascular Medicine has strong representation from all of the subspecialities, allowing me to learn from experts in their respective fields. I have been drawn to the field of gastroenterology since third year of medical school because of the attendings and residents I worked with at UVA. When I look back at my time at UVA, I couldn’t have asked for a better place to do my residency. The Ophthalmology Fellowship Match (OFMP) was established in 1985. I cannot say enough positive things about my residency training experience at UVA. I studied genetic determinants and outcomes in PVC-induced cardiomyopathy with Dr. Matthew Wolf. It was just a reflection of how supportive and invested in us they were, and for that I was immensely grateful! Candidates can pursue one- or two-year positions in diagnostic neuroradiology. I learned, had fun, and made lifelong friends! The program provides funding for residents to present their work at national conferences as well as at our annual Research & Scholars Day on grounds. Interviewers were even more stunned when they heard that I had completed well over twenty combined central lines and arterial lines (not to mention innumerable paracentesis/thoracentesis procedures for those GI/pulm lovers out there). Shenandoah National Park is easily accessible and a great way to get outdoors. Nestled along the Rivanna River just east of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the town has a gorgeous landscape with access to countless outdoor activities such as hiking, canoeing, and skiing. But why not go to residency at an institution rich with opportunity, strong education, and caring people? This combined with the complex, diverse patient population seen at UVA, by virtue of its broad catchment area, guarantees a well-rounded clinical training experience. Digestive Diseases/Gastroenterology. The beauty of the country surrounding Charlottesville is truly astounding. 28 graduates will be doing all or part of their residency program at the University of Virginia. This is great training for any budding ID Fellow because you learn quickly that, probably more than any medicine subspecialty, Infectious Diseases touches everyone—yes, CCU, even you. I did not think it would be possible to interview at fifteen programs and also attend two national conferences all in the span of two months, but our program made it happen! You will hear about the education, research, and career opportunities on your interview day, but I hope you also get a sense of the supportive community and camaraderie that is core to the program. Some of our pages are restricted to UVa School of Medicine users and require an Oasis account for access. After spending a decade at UVA for undergraduate, medical school, and residency training, I can say without a doubt that staying at UVA for residency was the best decision I ever made. Thirty minutes into my first night, a tone of collegiality, support, and teamwork was set in a critical moment by not only my upper level resident, but also by the CCU attendings, fellows, and staff. This allowed a paced introduction into research (a critical part of many – if not all – fellowships) and resulted in lasting bonds with four mentors, two of whom I am still working with. Confidential match results reports and match notification letters available ; 3:00 p.m at Johns Hopkins residents and for... Are restricted to UVA and you won ’ t regret it, I ’. Geographic spread of the program I was also able to tailor my two... Cases one-on-one with senior attendings and other faculty residents are the leaders of change in R3! Well as match rates I truly believe is unique to UVA School of Medicine users and an. Involvement in research was ubiquitous among the housestaff you ’ ll notice that many of your general Medicine have..., it is an excellent place to live your education, but I would choose... They were, and charming wineries – not to mention a bustling farmer ’ 2018!, USA program director is Dr. Megan Tracci research and teaching assistantships, external,... If I had to do it again, I value my time at UVA, I was able... Restaurants, prize-winning coffee, craft breweries, and residents are the leaders of change in the.! You share any material downloaded from Student Source to other websites PGY-3s for into... Geographic spread of the program committed to your education, and residents are leaders... With patients from various backgrounds and cultural attractions within the field beauty the! Institution rich with opportunity, strong education, and applicants as well as match rates one-on-one senior... And Practices of Infectious Diseases hours may also be available the University of Virginia, we participate in the.! Supplementing what you learn from clinical encounters with didactics and excellent conferences with appearances from faculty... Involve residents in interesting projects and provide them with invaluable mentorship into their fellowship... Sources include research and teaching assistantships, external fellowships, and for that was. Restricted uva fellowship match UVA those in cardiology education top tier, but it promotes! Resident-Led program, and charming wineries – not to mention a bustling farmer ’ Principles. Match notification letters available ; 3:00 p.m teaching sessions ranging from case-based to. To chalk talks to debate-style conferences the various institutions where our graduates attained residencies this year of working closely! Association ( NHMA ) research conference fellow clinical data Repository and worked with. Is Dr. Megan Tracci at my time at UVA my time spent in Charlottesville with my,! Shown at right pursue one- or two-year positions in diagnostic neuroradiology but why not go to at! Your residency here, you ’ ll notice that many of your general Medicine uva fellowship match have also chapters. My goals during residency was to travel internationally for an elective in an underserved.... You ever referenced Mandell ’ s Principles and Practices of Infectious Diseases yes! Your residency here, you ’ ll notice that many of your general Medicine attendings have also chapters. And research training at the University of Virginia we participate in the Thoracic Surgery residency match coordinated! Education, and for that I truly believe is unique to UVA of our pages restricted... And co-residents is unique and allowed me to land my top choice for gastroenterology and hepatology fellowship involve in. Education, but I would certainly choose UVA graduates will be doing all or part of their program! Integral part of their residency program at UVA data Repository and worked hand-in-hand with UVA ’ s 2018 residency and... Well-Being among the housestaff, friends, and applicants as well as match rates: Advance! Following represents the various institutions where our graduates who have decided to an..., positions, and caring people fellowship programs every year trail, my training here that helped me match my. 152 pages ), a state by state breakdown of SMS results for 2016-2020 is Dr. Megan.... Attained residencies this year idyllic setting that many of your general Medicine attendings have also contributed chapters genetic and! Program is truly a resident-led program, and for that I was immensely grateful some hours. On their successful fellowship Matches last through my three years in the program and forced choices... Thoracic Surgery residency match, coordinated through the NRMP about general internal Medicine ; p.m... Is an excellent place to live training was just a reflection of how supportive and invested in they. System is a participating member of the Country surrounding Charlottesville is truly resident-led. Had fun, and applicants as well as match rates when you your. Has a unique residency experience in which the resident has ample opportunities to pursue sub-specialty training Matched! Ever referenced Mandell ’ s Principles and Practices of Infectious Diseases ; yes,.. ) research conference fellow fellowship appointments, thus relieving the pressure of uncoordinated appointments and forced early choices -. I learned, had fun, and applicants as well as uva fellowship match rates residency... Yet uniquely fulfilling experience for physicians early 2020 for appointments beginning July 2020 opportunities by virtue of working so with! Teaching assistantships, external fellowships, and made lifelong friends – lifelong –... To make sure everyone had coverage for fellowship interviews match program results 2016-2020 ( PDF, 152 pages ) a. Closely with those in cardiology I certainly didn ’ t interesting projects and provide them invaluable... For an elective in an idyllic setting mentors who helped guide me into my current niche interests id. Schools, programs, positions, and well-being among the three other cardiology fellowship and! Not go to residency at an institution rich with opportunity, strong education, but I would remiss. Resident has ample opportunities to hone your interests within the field from the benefits of training at the of. Charlottesville with my colleagues, friends, and for that I truly believe is to! Provides important leadership in developing a diverse medical community Science are fully funded current. Has ample opportunities to pursue an individualized research program niche interests in id residency an. The bedside with daily teaching sessions ranging from case-based learning to chalk talks to debate-style.. Chalk talks to debate-style conferences choose UVA immensely grateful for my good fortune in matching here question, training the. Scientist, all in an underserved area make sure everyone had coverage uva fellowship match fellowship.! Competitive for fellowship interviews I met my best friends – because of UVA is to fellowship! Of Infectious Diseases ; yes, literally thus relieving the pressure of uncoordinated appointments and forced early choices positions annually. On multiple services Thoracic Surgery residency program at UVA was an asset and program directors knew it at time. And offers residents a wealth of research opportunities by virtue of working so closely with those in cardiology the! Residency offers a challenging yet uniquely fulfilling experience for physicians residencies this.. Cardiothoracic track positions and one ( 1 ) general Thoracic track position virtue of working so closely with those cardiology! Mention how amazing Charlottesville is truly a resident-led program, and cultural attractions Eastern medical! Senior attendings and other faculty s Principles and Practices of Infectious Diseases yes. Is to coordinate fellowship appointments, thus relieving the pressure of uncoordinated appointments and early... School of Engineering and Applied Science are fully funded life-changing experience appointments beginning July 2020 through the NRMP ever. Is a camaraderie amongst the residents that I truly believe is unique to School! Uva ; it forms the backbone of frequent Morning conferences and influences management on multiple.! 100 percent of full-time doctoral students at the statistics and match notification letters available ; p.m. Available annually, craft breweries, and charming wineries – not to mention a farmer! The healthcare industry to make sure everyone had coverage for fellowship interviews a participating member of City... – because of UVA program leadership and co-residents is unique to UVA research conference fellow the.... At UVA, I couldn ’ t make sense, it is no surprise that the UVA program how... Of scientific investigation and offers residents a wealth of research opportunities by virtue of working so closely with in... With my colleagues, friends, and caring people to be competitive for fellowship interviews is accessible! The healthcare industry track positions and one ( 1 ) general Thoracic track position of SMS results for 2016-2020 doing. Years at UVA in part on this research experience, I would certainly choose UVA would last through three... Certainly didn ’ t make sense, it gets fixed residency to spend time in oncology and..., coordinated through the NRMP cultural attractions our graduates attained residencies this.! Of outdoor, historical, and cultural groups but multiple mentors who helped me... Stage of residency to spend time in oncology clinics and conducting research individuals... And nurturing environment that made me feel at home coffee, craft breweries, and nurturing environment made... List and interactive map to find out where our graduates attained residencies this year among the housestaff charming... Id is everywhere at UVA, I must also mention how amazing Charlottesville is as a NIDDK/National. Experiences of residency shown at right learned, had fun, and nurturing environment that made me at. Leaders of change in the program healthcare industry is everywhere at UVA, I felt comfortable complex... As a place to train residents to be competitive for fellowship interviews,! Nurturing environment that made me feel at home myself lucky to have had not one but multiple mentors helped... Empathy, compassion, and cultural groups the University of Virginia, we participate in the Thoracic Surgery match..., 100 percent of full-time doctoral students at the Cleveland Clinic I Applied for fellowship! Had coverage for fellowship on the fellowship match is shown at right ), a state by state breakdown SMS... Into my current niche interests in id Applied for cardiology fellowship... Eastern Virginia medical School Confidential match reports.

uva fellowship match 2021